If you’re lucky enough to get your hands on some delicious huckleberries, this is the way to cook them! This is the best wild huckleberry pie recipe to make use of those little berries that you worked hard to pick.
This pie is sweet and showcases the flavor of the berries – it’s a summer treat that tastes fresh & full of huckleberry flavor. And it’s the best wild huckleberry pie recipe because it’s also easy to make! These steps only take about 10 minutes.
I will say that the inside of this pie is fairly soft – it will thicken after cooling but know that you might have a bit of a mess when you try to cut it 🙂
ALSO: if you don’t have enough huckleberries (or don’t want to use them all up in this pie), you add some blueberries. This is what we did: 4 cups blueberries, 1 cup huckleberries. It still had a huckleberry flavor and tasted AMAZING.
The Best Wild Huckleberry Pie Recipe:
Makes: 9″ pie
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Pie crust for 9″ pan
4 cups huckleberries (if you don’t have this many, substitute blueberries)
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup quick tapioca (if you don’t have this on hand, use 2 tbs flour)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon white sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line pie dish with pie crust.
3. Add huckleberries on top of pie crust.
4. In a small bowl, mix together 3/4 cups of sugar and tapioca. Spoon evenly over berries.
5. Sprinkle lemon juice and zest over the top. Then dot with butter.
6. Add top crust, making sure to seal the edges. Gaps in the crust will result in huckleberry juice creeping out!
7. Cut seam vents in the top crust. Brush the top of the pie with heavy cream and sprinkle on 1 teaspoon of sugar.
8. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat and bake at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
9. Enjoy!! Delicious by itself or with ice cream. The pie may be runny when it first comes out of the oven but thickens upon cooling.
Have you been picking huckleberries this summer?! What are some of your favorite ways to bake with them? Drop a comment below to let us know.
For more huckleberry recipes, check out: