Ready in only 30 minutes, this delicious black bean soup recipe features lots of chopped vegetables and southwestern flavors.
This plant-based, vegan recipe is an ideal easy dinner and is also tasty as make-ahead meal prep for your week.
About The Recipe
This soup recipe is simple, quick and so tasty. It’s a satisfying soup that’s full of flavor and a variety of vegetables.
Part of what makes this recipe so good is that it used 1 can of pureed black beans. This is the first step of the recipe and it’s what gives the soup it’s flavor and texture.
A Southwestern Twist
This recipe is also inspired by southwestern flavors, and uses chili powder, cumin and paprika for seasoning that hints at taco flavors! The mix of beans, corn and tomatoes also adds to the southwestern flair.
If you love Mexican, Southwestern, or Tex-Mex food you will fall in love with this soup! Or if you just love a comforting bowl of soup 🙂
Tips for Making This Black Bean Soup Recipe
Puree some of the black beans:
Don’t forget to puree 1 can of undrained & unrinsed black beans as the first step to this recipe. They should be pureed in a food processor or blender until smooth. This will help give the soup it’s hearty flavor & texture.
Get creative with your toppings:
Don’t be afraid to load this soup up with toppings! For ideas, try some popular taco or tortilla soup toppings, like: sour cream, tortilla strips, guacamole, avocados, tortilla chips, red onion, cilantro.
As your soup simmers, do a taste test to see if you’d prefer more salt or seasonings. If you’d like to ramp up the flavor of this soup, try adding a little more chili powder. Or – to spice it up – add some cayenne!
How to Make it For Meal Prep
(Note: This section contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you purchase through these links I may earn a small commission at no cost to you.)
This recipe is one of our favorites for meal prep because it’s easy to make (and reheat) and the flavors are even BETTER as leftovers.
To meal prep this recipe, simply prepare the recipe according to the instructions and then spoon it into individual containers (like the ones shown below). You can store it in the fridge for short term use (3 – 4 days) or the freezer for long term use (up to 2 months).
Ready in only 30 minutes, this delicious black bean soup features lots of chopped vegetables and southwestern flavors. This recipe is an ideal easy dinner and is also tasty as make-ahead meal prep for your week.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans (drain & rinse 1 can)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped avocado
- Lime wedges
- Using a food processor or blender, puree one of the cans of black beans (leaving them undrained and unrinsed).
- In a large dutch oven or pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute 3 – 4 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the tomatoes and seasonings to the pot. Stir until the ingredients are coated in the seasoning.
- Pour in the broth and bring the pot to a boil. Stir in the remaining can of beans (drained & rinsed), the pureed beans, and the corn (drained & rinsed).
- Turn the heat down and let the pot simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. If preferred, add more broth here to thin your soup.
- Stir in lime juice before serving. Optionally, serve topped with chopped cilantro and avocado.