This is the BEST Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. It’s a simple recipe that’s ready in about 30 minutes. This recipe is hearty and satisfying while using healthy and clean ingredients.
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, diced & seeds removed
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne (optional, for spice)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup corn (canned or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Tortilla strips
- Avocado, diced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Cook your chicken breasts in the oven: bake them on a sheet pan at 425 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Once cooked, shred into bite-sized pieces using two forks.
- While the chicken cooks, begin the soup. Add the olive oil to the bottom of a large pot over medium high heat. Saute the onion and jalapeno for 5 minutes, until slightly softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the broth, crushed tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne (optional, for spice) to the pot. Stir to combine. Simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered and stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked chicken, black beans, corn, and lime juice and simmer for 3 – 5 more minutes, until heated through.
- Optionally, serve topped with tortilla strips, avocado, and cilantro.
- Spice: if you choose to add the 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, this recipe with have a low to mild spice level. If you want your soup to be spicer, add more cayenne (double the amount to 1/4 teaspoon for a spicy soup).
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Soup, Chicken, Tortilla, Mexican, Healthy