An easy, classic recipe for crockpot chicken noodle soup. The flavors of this soup are familiar and comforting, perfect for a cold day (or if you feel a cold coming on)!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled & thinly chopped
- 4 celery stalks, thinly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried sage (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces egg noodles (I used old-fashioned, wide egg noodles)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of your crockpot. Recommended crockpot size: 6 quarts or larger.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic on top of the chicken.
- Pour the chicken broth into the crockpot. Add the bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, sage (optional), salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 – 7 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot and allow it to cool slightly. The chicken should be cook through to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook your egg noodles in a pot on the stove, according to the package’s instructions. Strain the noodles when done. While the pasta cooks, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces using two forks or your hands.
- Add the chicken, egg noodles, parsley and lemon juice into the crockpot and stir. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if preferred.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 – 10 minutes, until the soup is heated through.
- Serve warm. Remove and discard the bay leaves before serving. Optionally, top with more chopped parsley and with a side of crackers or toasted bread.
- Noodles: you can use any wide egg noodle for this recipe. I used ‘old-fashioned egg noodles’ but you can also use spiral egg noodles. The key is to use a wide noodle so that it holds up to the vegetables & chicken in this recipe.
- Cooking the noodles: you can also cook your noodles directly in the crockpot. Add them when you remove the chicken and allow them to cook, covered, on high heat for 10 minutes. I prefer to cook mine separately as they tend to hold their texture better.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker, Crockpot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soup, chicken noodle soup, slow cooker, crockpot