This bison chili is your favorite chili recipe made with bison. It’s easy to make, has a simple ingredient list, and perfectly balances the flavor of the bison.
How to Make Bison Chili
Cook the onion, green bell pepper, garlic and jalapeños in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook until the onions are translucent and the peppers are tender.
NOTE: If you like your chili less spicy leave out the jalapeños or only add 1. This recipe is a medium level of spice with both added (not super spicy, but has a little fiery kick as an aftertaste).
Add the ground bison to the skillet. Crumble the bison into small pieces and add the seasonings. Continue cooking until the bison is browned.
TIP: Instead of making this recipe with 2 pounds ground bison, you can use 1 pound of bison and 1 pound of lean ground meat. This is a great alternative if you aren’t sure if you’ll love full bison flavor or you want to add some beef flavor.
Add the diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes, stirring to combine. Pour in the beef stock until your chili reaches its desired thickness. You probably won’t need to add much, I usually end up adding only a splash.
Reduce the heat of the skillet to medium low. Simmer your chili for 20 – 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes to thicken before serving.
Optional: garnish with classic chili toppings like: cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, red onion or chips.
Popular Additions & Substitutions:
Instead of using 2 pounds of bison, use 1 pound of bison and 1 pound of lean ground beef for a mix of flavor.
Bourbon Bison Chili is a popular twist! Add 1 oz bourbon to this recipe before you simmer it for a fun change in taste.
Doubling the recipe:
This recipe makes 6 servings, but we usually double it. This is such a tasty recipe that you’ll want seconds & leftovers.
How to Make Bison Chili in a Crockpot:
Crockpot Bison Chili is easy to make and is an amazing way to let the flavors of this recipe simmer together.
Here’s how to adapt this recipe for your crockpot:
- Cook the onion, garlic and peppers in a skillet.
- Add the bison and seasonings and cook until browned.
- Transfer vegetables and bison to your crockpot. Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer on low for 7 – 8 hours or high for 3 – 4 hours.
This bison chili is a crowd-pleasing favorite. And if you’ve never cooked with bison before, this recipe is the perfect place to start! It’s easy to make with a simple ingredient list.Print
An easy way to cook bison chili. This recipe is your favorite chili recipe made with bison!
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 jalapeños (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 2 lbs ground bison
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onion, green bell pepper, jalapeños and garlic in olive oil. Cook until the onion is translucent and the bell pepper is tender.
- Add the ground bison to the skillet and crumble it as it cooks. Add the seasonings. Continue cooking until bison is browned.
- Add the diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes to the skillet. Stir to combine. Pour in beef stock (a little at a time) until your chili reaches desired thickness.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer chili for 20 – 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Optional: garnish with cheese, sour cream, avocado, or red onion.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American