This recipe for classic chocolate crinkle cookies is a must-make for the holiday season. These cookies have a rich chocolate flavor and resemble soft, fudgy brownies on the inside!
- 4 ounces 100% unsweetened baking chocolate, melted & cooled
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Melt the baking chocolate: break it into several pieces and add it to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Then stir and microwave for 20 seconds at a time until smooth, stirring after each time.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cocoa powder and sugar.
- Add the melted chocolate and softened butter. Stir until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir a couple times (it will be a very dry mixture).
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Use a mixer to mix on low speed until the dough is combined and moist. It will be thick and crumbly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the powdered sugar onto a plate or shallow bowl.
- Use a cookie scoop or your hands to portion out 1 tablespoon-sized balls of dough. The dough will be hardened and crumbly. Use your hands to form each cookie into a ball.
- Roll each ball of dough in the powdered sugar. Generously coat each ball, rolling it around several times to coat it with layers of sugar. Once coated, add the cookies to the parchment-lined baking sheet at least 1” apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 – 15 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are set. The cookies will be soft when first removed from the oven. Allow them to cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate, cookies, Christmas, holiday