A flavorful vegetable soup with NINE different kinds of vegetables! This healthy soup is an easy dinner idea or perfect for meal-prep (it freezes well). It’s hearty, fresh, and comforting.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, thinly chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium russet or gold potatoes, diced into ½” thick pieces
- 1 (15.5 oz can) kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 ½ cups green beans, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes (optional, for spice)
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and saute for 4 – 5 minutes, until the carrots and celery are barely tender and the onions are translucent.
- Add the broth, potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, kidney beans, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, and thyme to the pot. Add salt & pepper to taste. Optionally, add red pepper flakes for spice.
- Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, until the potatoes are almost fully cooked through.
- Add the corn and peas, stir and cook for 5 more minutes. Taste and season with more salt & pepper if needed.
- Stir in lemon juice just before serving. Optionally, garnish with chopped fresh parsley.