This easy french toast casserole is full of crunchy pecans and drizzled with a butter, brown sugar, & cinnamon topping. It’s the ultimate breakfast treat!
For the casserole:
- 10 cups of cubed French bread about 1 large loaf (or sourdough or ciabatta bread)
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 6 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the topping:
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cube your bread into 1” cubes (leave the crust on).
- Grease a 9 x 13” casserole dish. Place half of the bread cubes in a layer on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle half of the pecans over the bread.
- Add the remaining bread in a second layer and sprinkle on the remaining pecans. Try to lay your bread cubes in an even layer so that they will bake evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the custard: whisk together the eggs and then whisk in the milk, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and salt. Pour the mixture over the bread, trying to get some over all of the bread cubes.
- In another small bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon to create the topping. Drizzle the mixture over the bread.
- Bake the casserole in the oven for 30 – 35 minutes, until the top of the casserole is brown with bits that are dark brown.
- Optionally, serve with powdered sugar and maple syrup.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked