This red velvet cupcakes recipe is the tastiest, most moist recipe you’ll find. This recipe has PERFECTED red velvet flavor.
We love this recipe because it’s not overly complicated and the cupcakes come out perfect every time. If you never made red velvet cupcakes before, this recipe is a great place to start.
What do red velvet cupcakes taste like?
Red velvet cupcakes give you sugary sweet flavor mixed with buttery creaminess and a hint of chocolate. You really have to try them for yourself to taste how good they are!
The first time I tried one of these cupcakes I was blown away (they didn’t taste how I thought they would)! And these quickly became my new favorite flavor of cupcakes.
The best red velvet cupcakes are moist, sweet, and have layers of flavor from the sugar, buttermilk, and cocoa that goes into them.
Do red velvet cupcakes use chocolate?
Yes, most red velvet cupcake recipes use cocoa powder. This adds to the taste of the cupcakes (you can taste a delicious hint of chocolate).
The amount of cocoa powder added is small so that it does not take away from the bright red color of the cupcakes.
What makes red velvet cupcakes red?
[Please note that this blog post contains affiliate links. At no cost to you, these links are used to recommend products I love & I may receive a small commission if you purchase through them.]
Red cupcakes are red from food coloring! This recipe uses a whole (1 ounce) bottle of red food coloring. The batter is a bright vibrant red and when it bakes you’ll see it transform to the classic red velvet shade.
This may seem like a lot of food coloring, but it takes this much to make the cupcakes red.
Here’s the exact food coloring that I used, found here on Amazon.
What kind of frosting goes on red velvet cupcakes?
Traditionally, cream cheese frosting is paired with red velvet cupcakes. Cream cheese pairs perfectly with the flavors of the red velvet cupcake. Biting into the cupcake gives you creamy icing and moist cake all in one (SO GOOD).
These red velvet cupcakes are easy to make and come out moist — never dry — every time.
Moist Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cup butter softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1 oz bottle red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla, buttermilk and food coloring.
- Slowly beat in the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until combined, do not overbeat.
- Spoon batter into a paper-lined cupcake tin, filling each about 2/3 full. This recipe makes 30 cupcakes.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before icing them. Top with cream cheese frosting (recipe linked below).
Need a recipe for cream cheese frosting? We love pairing these cupcakes with this frosting: Easy Cream Cheese Frosting.