One of the questions that I get asked the most is ‘what is the best month to visit Jackson Hole?’ And honestly – this is one of my favorite questions to answer!
Every month in Jackson Hole is different. The seasons, wildlife, and weather all change boldly and constantly.
The best month to visit depends on what you want to get out of your trip. Here’s my recommendations for the best months to visit Jackson Hole, depending on the goals for your trip:
The 3 Best Months to Visit Jackson Hole
September in Jackson Hole
September is the best month to visit Jackson Hole if you are interested in:
- Stunning fall colors
- Migrating wildlife (in particular: elk, which you can often see migrating and hear ‘bugling’ noises)
- Avoiding crows (September is considered off-season)
- Cooler weather: September is not too hot, and not too cold.
- Local events: Fall Arts Festival, Taste of The Tetons, Showcase of Homes
For a full write-up and more details on the above activities, check out: 6 Most Popular Things to Do in Jackson Hole in September.
June in Jackson Hole
June is the best month to visit Jackson Hole if you are interested in:
- Seeing Jackson Hole at the peak of it’s summer beauty: beautiful green grasses & colorful flowers
- Visiting the National Parks (June is a popular time for this)
- Hiking, white water rafting, horseback riding, fishing – any & every outdoor activity
January in Jackson Hole
January is the best month to visit Jackson Hole if you are interested in:
- Experiencing Jackson Hole as a winter wonderland (it’s truly magical!)
- Skiing. There’s plenty to do outside of skiing, but skiing is a popular choice
- Winter activities: dog sled tours, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
- Taking a sleigh ride on the Elk Refuge (these run all winter, but January is a beautiful time to go)
- Winter tours of Yellowstone: guided tours into Yellowstone that allow you to see it’s most iconic features while they are snow-covered
For a full write-up and more details on the above activities, check out: 5 Things Not to Miss in Jackson Hole in January (From a Local’s Perspective).
Each month in Jackson Hole has a lot to offer, but these 3 months are my top picks because they offer the best of each season.
Do you have a favorite month in Jackson? Drop a comment below with your pick!
Looking for More?
For monthly guides of the best things to see & do in Jackson Hole, check out the Jackson Hole series here.