1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon pure almond extract
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup milk, plus more as needed
Strawberry jelly, amount will vary based on brand
Powdered sugar, to garnish
1 cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Grease two 9-inch round cakepans.
- In a stand mixer or using an electric handheld mixer, combine the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well in between. Add the extracts and mix again. Set aside.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, alternating with the milk. If your batter looks too thick, add a couple more tablespoons of milk.
- Divide the batter evenly between two pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before icing.
- To make the whipped cream: In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, whip the cream and powdered sugar until it resembles stiff peaks. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Once the Strawberry Victorian Sponge Cake is cooled, place one layer on a cake stand and spread a thick layer of jelly over the top.
- Top with a layer of whipped cream, followed by the second cake layer. Garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy!