There’s nothing like the flaky, buttery goodness of buttermilk biscuits. This country buttermilk biscuits recipe is a fun one to bake for beginners and advanced bakers alike. You’ll never want to go back to eating store-bought biscuits again.
Country Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
Makes: 10 – 12 biscuits
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (chill in the freezer for a few minutes and then slice as thinly as you can)
¾ cup cold buttermilk
1 tablespoon extra buttermilk for brushing the tops of the biscuits
- Chill butter in the freezer for several minutes, until it is slightly hardened. Cut butter into thin slices.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl
- Blend butter into flour mixture until it is coarse and crumbly
- Create a well in the middle of the butter and flour mixture, pour in ¾ cup of buttermilk and stir to combine
- Place dough on a floured surface and pat into a rectangle
- Fold the rectangle into thirds. Turn the dough into a half-turn, pat it into a rectangle again, and fold again into thirds. Repeat this folding process a total of 4 times.
- Roll the dough out until it is ½ inch thick
- Cut out biscuits using a 2 ½ inch biscuit cutter (or if you don’t have this, you can use the top of a round glass). Dough will yield 10 – 12 biscuits.
- Brush the tops of the the biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Bake in oven until golden brown, 12 – 15 minutes
Looking for more recipes like this? Check out our Cabin Cooking series here.
Leave a Reply