This is the ULTIMATE deep cleaning checklist for your entire home plus a downloadable, printable PDF at the end of the post. It goes room by room and covers all of the areas that need to be deep cleaned regularly.
For more information on how to clean items in this list, check out our Cleaning series.
For how to make an all-natural, all-purpose 2 ingredient cleaner, click here.
Deep Cleaning House Tips
Go Room by Room
Go room by room instead of trying to tackle your whole house at once. This checklist is divided by rooms so that you can do this easier.
Prepare Your Supplies
Have plenty of paper towels and trash bags ready (you don’t want to kill your momentum every time you have to go track more down).
If you feel overwhelmed, focus on one task at a time and go through this checklist step by step
Decluttering vs. Deep Cleaning
Don’t try to declutter and deep clean your house at the same time. Do one first and then the other. For decluttering, we highly recommend Marie Kondo’s Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up (it really is life changing)!
My House Is REALLY Dirty!
If your house is pretty dirty, take things slow. If you try to do too much at once there’s a good chance you’ll get overwhelmed and stop all together. Take things one room, one part at a time. I’d recommend starting with your kitchen because it will be easier to see a difference in your cleaning and you can use that as motivation to keep going!
Set the Tone
Create your own cleaning environment: turn up the music, light a candle, put on some comfy clothes and go for it. These things might sound small (or even silly) but your mindset can make a big difference in deep cleaning.
Deep Cleaning Checklist + Printable
Here’s the full deep cleaning checklist for your entire house. This is divided by rooms, which you can do in any order but we’d recommend starting with the kitchen, bathroom or living room (these are the rooms that tend to get dirtiest).
The ‘entire house’ items in this list are meant to be done in every room that they apply to and are broader cleaning items.
Click the button below to download the printable or keep scrolling to read the full deep cleaning checklist:
Here’s the full checklist:
- Dust, vacuum, mop
- Clean ceiling fans
- Clean windows and window frames
- Clean garbage bins
- Clean blinds & wash curtains
- Replace air filters
- Clean baseboards & door frames
- Check fire alarms & Carbon Monoxide detector
- Deep clean fridge: wipe inside & clean behind
- Deep clean oven: scrub inside, clean stovetop, hood fan, stove grates; move and clean behind oven
- Clean backsplash & counters
- Deep clean dishwasher: empty filter, wipe utensil holder, clean drain and control panel
- Clean microwave
- Clean freezer, throw out expired food
- Clean cabinets & organize
- Clean pantry & organize, throw away expired food
- Mop & sweep floor
- Clean utensil holder
- Clean coffee maker
- Throw out expired toiletries
- Clean grout (recommended product: Magic Eraser)
- Wash shower curtain & scrub liner
- Wash rugs
- Clean mirror with glass cleaner
- Clean toothbrush holder
- Clean bath/shower & faucet
- Clean sink & faucet
- Clean toilet: interior, base & tank
- Organize cabinets & toiletries
- Clean washing machine
- Clean dryer
- Clean & remove any extra lint
- Vacuum behind washer & dryer
- Clean electronics
- Wipe down remotes
- Vacuum couch, wash pillow covers & throw blankets
- Shampoo carpet/mop wood floors
- Wash or shampoo rugs
- Wash bedding, throw blankets, pillow covers
- Flip or rotate mattress
- Clean out drawers & closets
- Fold or hang all clothes
- Dust end tables and dressers
- Wash curtains
- Clean under bed
- Organize and put away paperwork
- Dust and clean electronics
- Organize drawers
- Clean gutters
- Clean outdoor furniture
- Clean doors
- Clean porch
- Clean & organize garage or shed
- Pressure wash outdoor surfaces