This hummus recipe is simple, using few ingredients with tons of versatility! Hummus is a Middle Eastern spread traditionally made up of chickpeas, tahini, lemon, garlic and olive oil and spices. Packed with healthy nutrients- hummus is the perfect alternative to many spreads we use. Perfect for wraps, sandwiches and dips. Onto the recipe!
- 1 15oz-16oz can of Chickpeas (I used Bush’s brand)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 cup of Tahini
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp of salt (depending on taste- might add more!)
- 1/4 tsp cumin (optional)
- Paprika, Parsley and Olive Oil for serving
- Food Processor
- Small Pot
Pour can of chickpeas in boiling water and let them boil until chickpeas become super soft and tender (This took me about 90 minutes). After chickpeas are soft, let them cool to room temperature.
Prepare your other ingredients and chop up garlic.
After chickpeas are tender and soft, drain them and keep the water that they were boiled in and reserve for later use.
Put the drained chickpeas, chopped garlic, lemon juice, salt, tahini and cumin (if using) in food processor.
Start with pulse option on food processor and use spatula to scrape sides in between pulsing. Leave on for about two minutes until everything is combined.
Add in some of the reserved chickpea water and continue to blend and add chickpea water until you get a consistency that you like.
Taste test hummus and add in more salt if desired.
Once you get the consistency and saltiness you like, transfer hummus onto a dish of your choice.
Garnish hummus with paprika and parsley and drizzle with olive oil.
You can also play around and add other toppings such as olives, feta and peppers!
Classic hummus recipe for any occasion! You can dress this hummus up with olives, green onions, feta or any toppings of your choice. Perfect to use as a spread or as an appetizer dip.
- 15–16 oz. Can of Chickpeas
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (you can add more depending on taste)
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin (optional)
- Paprika – for serving
- Parsley – for serving
- Olive Oil – for serving
- Chickpea water (keep the water the chickpeas are boiled in for later use)
- Pour chickpeas in a pot of water and boil for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until chickpeas become soft and tender. Let chickpeas cool to room temperature.
- After chickpeas have cooled, drain chickpeas (keep chickpea water for later) and place them in your food processor.
- Add garlic, lemon juice, tahini and cumin if using.
- Start with pulse for 2 minutes. In between, use a spatula to scrape the edges and then continue to blend.
- Add some of the reserved chickpea water into the mixture. Keep adding and blending until you get to a consistency you like.
- Taste test hummus and add more salt if desired. Keep blending until you get a smooth consistency.
- Serve hummus in dish of your choice and garnish with paprika, parsley and drizzle with olive oil.
- You can add any other toppings you’d like! Olives, feta, red peppers, etc. and enjoy!
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 4 people
Keywords: Appetizer, Spread, Hummus, Dip, Mediterranean