Pumpkin Pie Spice is that illusive, magical fall flavor that tastes delicious in everything from our pies and desserts to our lattes.
It’s easy to make, but the trick is to mix together the right spices in the right ratios. I’ve got a recipe below that will break all of this down.
The below recipe is perfect for using in your classic pumpkin pie. It’s all the flavors you know and love: cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.
While some pumpkin pie spice recipes also call for allspice this recipe leaves it out. You get the same classic flavor, but I believe it’s even better.
And most people already have these spices on hand! Allspice is a little harder to find. Save yourself a few dollars and a trip to the store, and keep it simple with these 5 spices.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
Mix Together The Right Spices
It’s easy: mix together the spices in the below recipe. This makes about 3 tablespoons. You probably won’t need all of this for baking, so it’s a good idea to have a container on hand to store the rest.
Make It in Bulk
You can also double to tripe this recipe to make the pumpkin pie spice in bulk. I love this idea because it saves you from having to measure out the individual spices in the future.
Try Your Own Version
After trying this recipe, you can also experiment if you like! The ratios below are weighted to give you a classic pumpkin flavor, but try adding more cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. if you prefer those flavors.
Bake The Perfect Pumpkin Pie
While you can use this in any recipe that calls for Pumpkin Pie Spice, it’s especially delicious in a pumpkin pie recipe, like this one:
This is a simple recipe for pumpkin pie that’s impossible to get wrong! It creates the perfect slice of pumpkin pie every time.
Why Make Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Now that we’ve covered ‘how,’ it’s also important to know WHY it’s a good idea to make your own pumpkin pie spice.
There’s 2 main reasons:
- It saves money. You can buy a container of pumpkin pie spice at the store or you can make your own. Making your own is significantly less expensive 🙂
- You can adjust it to your preferences. As you make the pumpkin pie spice, it’s easy to tweak it once you’re familiar with the recipe. Add a little more of this or that and create your own twist on this classic.
Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 4 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Measure spices and mix together in a bowl. Once done, measure out the needed amount for the pumpkin recipe you'd like to make. Or store in bulk for later.
Pin it here!
For more seasonal recipe inspiration, follow along on our Pinterest board that gets new recipes weekly!