This easy crockpot hot chocolate recipe has only 5 ingredients and makes a delicious, creamy hot chocolate. It’s rich and smooth with no added condensed milk or heavy cream.
Before testing this recipe I was skeptical. How much of a difference would it REALLY make if I made hot chocolate in a slow cooker vs. my stovetop? Or the microwave?
Well, let me tell you: it makes a difference!
If you’ve never tried slow cooker hot chocolate before, this recipe is here to convince you that it’s the only way to make hot chocolate! Here’s why it’s the best & how to make hot chocolate for a crowd:
Why Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate Is The Best
All the ingredients simmer in the slow cooker for an hour on high, and during this time some magic happens. The chocolate morsels melt and the sugar + cinnamon infuse the mix.
And the result is that it tastes like pure chocolate magic.
How to Make Hot Chocolate for a Crowd
Making this slow cooker recipe is perfect for a crowd: a party, a family get together, the holidays, etc. In fact, now I’m convinced that I need to throw a party just so that I can make this recipe again! It’s that good.
Once you try this recipe, you’ll never want to go back to using a mix again!
HELPFUL TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- Crockpot size: because this makes a large batch of hot chocolate, it’s recommended to use at least a 6-quart crockpot.
- Whisk: when you first add all of the ingredients to your crockpot, whisk vigorously until the cocoa powder combined. Whisking lumps out during this step will ensure that you don’t end up with lumpy cocoa. You can also stir using a wooden spoon but it may take longer to get rid of any lumps.
- Stir: don’t forget to stir your hot chocolate half way through it’s cooking time. Scrape any melted chocolate off the bottom of your crockpot to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Here’s the full recipe for how to make hot chocolate for a crowd:
(NOTE: this serves 8. If you’re baking for a large crowd, double it to serve up to 16)Print
Once you try slow cooker hot chocolate, you’ll never want to go back to using a mix again. This is how to make hot chocolate for a crowd.
- 1 12 oz bag semisweet chocolate morsels
- 6 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker & stir.
- Cover, cook on high for 1 hour. Stir occasionally (chocolate will melt on the bottom of the slow cooker if you don’t stir it occasionally)
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
A Twist on a Classic
If you’ve now tried this recipe and love it, there’s a small twist that you’ll probably want to try next…
This is another recipe that I was skeptical about — but trust me, if you love chocolate and wine, you’ll be obsessed with this recipe:
YES! You read that right. Red Wine Hot Chocolate.
It’s the above recipe plus an entire bottle of red wine. I know, it’s a dream come true. It tastes like eating a decadent chocolate bar while sipping on your favorite glass of red.
If you love the Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate for a Crowd Recipe, check out the red wine version for some extra fun!