These Valentines Day Sugar Cookies are a delicious, classic sugar cookie recipe that’s cut into cute little hearts.
The sugar cookie recipe used here is the BEST. It’s a sure way to get sugary, buttery cookies that nail the perfect sugar cookie taste every time.
The cookies also turn out firm enough to ice easily and transport without falling apart (if you need to bring these to school, work, etc.).
I love making these for our family to snack on around Valentine’s Day, but they would also be easy to make for a classroom or office. This recipe makes 18 cookies, and you can also double it if you’re baking for a large group.
Tips for Making Valentines Day Sugar Cookies
Here’s a few tips to answer any questions you might have about baking these cookies:
- Don’t forget that these cookies need to chill for 2 hours before you roll them out and place them in the oven. Chilling the cookies will make the cookies firm enough to cut into hearts.
- Before you chill your dough, your dough should not be over mixed or sticky. If you find that your dough is too sticky, add a couple extra tablespoons of flour (this is also mentioned in the recipe instructions below).
- If your dough feels too firm to roll out once it’s done chilling in the refrigerator, leave it out for a couple minutes before rolling it. Or start flattening it lightly with your hands before flattening it with a rolling pin.
How to Decorate Sugar Cookies
When it comes to decorating these sugar cookies, get creative with icing and sprinkles. My favorite way to decorate is with different shades of white, pink, and red icing for Valentine’s Day.
Start with white icing and keep adding red food coloring for different shades of pink and red.
How to Make Sugar Cookie Icing
The simplest way to make sugar cookie icing is with eggs and powdered sugar: start with 2 eggs and 2 cups of powdered sugar. Mix these two ingredients together and if you find that your mixture is too runny, add more sugar (or if it’s too firm, add more egg) – adjusting until it’s the right consistency.
Pro tip: add 1/2 tsp of lemon extract to your icing to give it some extra flavor. The lemon of the icing goes well with the sweet sugar cookie taste of these!
Valentines Day Sugar Cookies
- 16 tbsp butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- One at a time, beat in the egg and then vanilla extract.
- Mix in flour and baking soda until just combined (do not over mix -the dough should not be sticky). Add an additional 1 – 2 tablespoons of flour if needed.
- Prepare the dough for refrigeration: pat the dough into 2 flat cakes. Wrap each one separately in plastic wrap and chill them for two hours in the fridge.
- After the dough has chilled, work with one portion at a time and roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it is 1/4" thick.
- Dip a cookie cutter in flour and cut out heart shaped cookies. Place them 1" apart on a buttered baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven preheated to 350 degrees 10 – 12 minutes, until the edges turn pale golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in airtight containers until ready to ice and decorate.