The best sugar cookie recipe cut into cute hearts for Valentine's Day.
- 16 tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- One at a time, beat in the egg and then vanilla extract.
- Mix in flour and baking soda until just combined (do not over mix -the dough should not be sticky). Add an additional 1 – 2 tablespoons of flour if needed.
- Prepare the dough for refrigeration: pat the dough into 2 flat cakes. Wrap each one separately in plastic wrap and chill them for two hours in the fridge.
- After the dough has chilled, work with one portion at a time and roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it is 1/4" thick.
- Dip a cookie cutter in flour and cut out heart shaped cookies. Place them 1" apart on a buttered baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven preheated to 350 degrees 10 – 12 minutes, until the edges turn pale golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in airtight containers until ready to ice and decorate.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American