This easy, healthy burrito bowl recipe is full of flavor. It features sweet potato seasoned with chili powder, black beans, corn and tomato. This recipe uses rice and lettuce for the ultimate mix of a burrito bowl + salad bowl.
These bowls are vegan but you can also add your favorite meat on top!
About The Recipe
These bowls are a copycat of Chipotle’s burrito bowls, with the twist of added baked sweet potato. They’re hearty, satisfying and simple.
This recipe works best as an easy weeknight dinner or weekly meal prep. You can easily customize the bowls to fit what you have on hand or swap in your favorite ingredients.
If you’re working to incorporate more healthy, plant-based meals into your routine, this recipe is a great one to make regularly! It uses familiar ingredients to create a bowl packed with tasty, whole food & plant based ingredients.
Tips for Making This Burrito Bowl Recipe
Add a dressing on top:
Feel free to drizzle your favorite dressing (I like to use a homemade spicy mayo) or salsa on top of these burrito bowls).
Make these bowls as meal prep:
This recipe is a must-have for meal prep. It’s incredibly simple: prepare the bowls as instructed, assemble them and then store in individual containers in your fridge. You’ll have ready-made meals for the week!
Customize your bowl:
One of the best parts of this recipe is that it’s easy to customize. Here’s a few popular substitutions & additions:
- Rice: this recipe calls for brown rice but you can also use white rice
- Sweet potato: swap sweet potato for your favorite protein or meat (try crumbled ground beef, sliced chicken or cubed tofu, for example)
- Add avocado: these bowls are especially tasty with sliced avocado or guacamole on top
- Make it a wrap: turn this recipe into a handheld wrap by adding the ingredients into a tortilla.
How to Meal Prep Burrito Bowls
(Note: This section contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you purchase through these links I may earn a small commission at no cost to you.)
To meal prep this recipe, simply make the recipe according to the instructions and then assemble your bowls in individual containers.
You can add all of the ingredients to individual serving-size tupperware, or use meal prep storage with dividers, like below. I prefer to use containers with dividers for this recipe to help preserve the texture of the ingredients.
These easy, healthy burrito bowls are full of flavor. They feature sweet potato seasoned with chili powder, black beans, corn and tomato. They use rice and lettuce for the ultimate mix of a burrito bowl + salad bowl.
- 3 cups brown rice
- 3 – 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Sliced avocado
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. On a large baking sheet, toss the sweet potato with the olive oil, salt and chili powder. Arrange the pieces in a single layer and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes. The potatoes should be lightly browned and tender when pierced with a fork.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Once your potatoes and rice are cooked, assemble your bowls: divide equal amounts of each ingredient onto each bowl. I like to start the bowls with rice and lettuce as a base and pile the other ingredients on top.
- Optionally, garnish with chopped cilantro, fresh squeezed lime juice and sliced avocado.
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
For more delicious plant-based recipes like this one, check out our recipe sister site: By Megan Ann: Easy Plant Based Recipes.