This easy slow cooker chili recipe is done in only 3 steps. It’s a family favorite that’s quick to make in the morning and perfect come home to after a long day.
Looking for the stovetop version of this chili? Here’s the same recipe adapted for stovetop cooking: Easy Stovetop Ground Beef Chili.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chili in 3 Steps
The full recipe is at the bottom of this page, but here’s a quick breakdown of the 3 steps to make it:
Step 1: Cook The Onion
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onion and saute for 3 – 4 minutes, until tender.
Step 2: Brown the Beef
Add the ground beef to the skillet with the onion and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, until browned. Drain any excess grease.
Step 3: Cook
Add all ingredients, including the cooked onion and beef, to a slow cooker. Stir well to mix. Cover and cook on low for 5 – 6 hours or high for 3 – 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Tips for Making Slow Cooker Chili
This recipe is super simple. First you’ll brown the beef and onions and then add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker.
Here’s a few tips to answer any questions that might come up:
Do you have to brown beef before putting it in the slow cooker?
It’s strongly recommended to brown the beef before putting it in your slow cooker. This locks in the natural juices of the meat and seals in the flavor. If you don’t, you run the risk of your chili turning out too greasy and your beef being undercooked.
How long should you cook slow cooker chili?
The best cooking times for this chili recipe are 3 – 4 hours on high and 5 – 6 hours on low.
Can I make it with turkey or chicken?
Yes, you can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken in this recipe instead of ground beef. The chili will still keep its tasty chili flavor, just with a hint of the meat that you choose.
Perfect for a busy weeknight or lazy Sunday, this is an ideal recipe to keep as a go-to dinner. It’s a family favorite that’s filling and flavorful.Print
A classic, easy slow cooker chili recipe that’s done in 3 steps. Full of flavor and sure to be a family favorite.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook the onion: In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onion and saute for 3 – 4 minutes, until tender.
- Brown the beef: Add the ground beef to the skillet with the onion and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, until browned. Drain any excess grease.
- Add to crockpot & cook: Add all ingredients, including the cooked onion and beef, to a slow cooker. Stir well to mix. Cover and cook on low for 5 – 6 hours or high for 3 – 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Recommended crockpot size: 6 quarts
- To make it spicy: add 1/8 – 1/4 of cayenne pepper
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American