This easy slow cooker chili recipe is done in only 3 steps. It’s a family favorite that’s quick to make in the morning and perfect come home to after a long day.
Looking for the stovetop version of this chili? Here’s the same recipe adapted for stovetop cooking: Easy Stovetop Ground Beef Chili.
Tips for Making Slow Cooker Chili
This recipe is super simple. First you’ll brown the beef and onions and then add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker.
Here’s a few tips to answer any questions that might come up:
Do you have to brown beef before putting it in the slow cooker?
It’s strongly recommended to brown the beef before putting it in your slow cooker. If you don’t, you run the risk of your chili turning out too greasy and your beef being undercooked.
How long should you cook slow cooker chili?
The best cooking times for this chili recipe are 5 – 6 hours on high and 7 – 8 hours on low.
Can I make it with turkey or chicken?
Yes, you can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken in this recipe instead of ground beef. The chili will still keep its tasty chili flavor, just with a hint of the meat that you choose.
Perfect for a busy weeknight or lazy Sunday, this is an ideal recipe to keep as a go-to dinner. It’s a family favorite that’s filling and flavorful.
Easy Slow Cooker Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 16 oz can black beans
- 16 oz can red kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne optional
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and chopped onion. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet with the onion and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, until browned.
- Add all ingredients, including cooked onion and beef, to a slow cooker. Stir well to mix. Cover and cook on high for 5 – 6 hours or low for 6 – 7 hours, stirring occasionally.