This chicken pot pie with biscuits recipe is a satisfying dinner that takes only 15 minutes to prepare. It’s loaded with chicken and vegetables and topped with fluffy, flaky biscuits.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
Making chicken pot pie is simple, and this recipe is extra easy: it uses frozen vegetables and pre-made biscuits. You’ll save time with these items and the result is still mind-blowing!
There’s 2 primary parts to making chicken pot pie with biscuits: the creamy chicken base and the biscuits on top. For this recipe, first you’ll make the chicken mix and then you’ll top it with biscuits.
Traditionally, chicken pot pie is made in a pie. But this recipe is a twist on the traditional version — instead it’s topped with biscuits.
Why Make It with Biscuits?
Making pot pie with biscuits instead of a pie crust is not only easier, it tastes better! You get the flaky, buttery goodness of biscuits in each bite.
Instead of worrying whether or not your pie crust will turn out properly, simply place biscuits on top of your chicken pot pie.
The biscuits add the same texture and flavor contrast as a traditional pie crust would, only better. The highlight of this meal is getting a bit of buttery biscuit in every bite.
What Do You Serve with Chicken Pot Pie?
Chicken pot pie is a satisfying, creamy dish. Main courses like this go well with lighter sides: a salad or vegetables.
And part of what makes this recipe so good is that it already has meat, vegetables, and biscuits in it! You can serve it by itself and it’s a complete meal in one.
Tips for Making Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
- Too thick? If you find that your chicken mix ends up too thick, add some extra chicken broth.
- Baking the biscuits: don’t forget to flip your biscuits in the final step! First you’ll bake your biscuits for half the recommended time, and then you’ll flip them as you add the biscuits on top of your pot pie for the final bake.
- Cooking your chicken: you’ll need 2 cooked and shredded chicken breasts before you start this recipe. Bake your chicken at 425 degrees for 15 – 18 minutes (until the internal temperature of the meat is 165 degrees).
An easy chicken pot pie recipe that's loaded with chicken and vegetables and topped with flaky, buttery biscuits.
- 1 can Pillsbury Grands Original Biscuits, 8 count
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 small package mixed frozen veggies (corn, carrots, peas, green beans)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breasts (cooked & shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake biscuits for half the time recommended (about 6 – 8 minutes). Remove from oven.
- Increase oven heat to 400 degrees.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add in frozen veggies and saute until they are soft.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and milk. Add thyme, sage, and salt & pepper to taste. Simmer until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Turn the heat to low and stir in the shredded chicken. Stir until all ingredients are well combined. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Top with the biscuits, making sure to flip the biscuits upside down from how they were first baked (this will ensure they cook through evenly).
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the biscuits are all golden brown.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Looking for more dinner ideas that are satisfyingly simple? Check out these top picks: